Welcome to Barbra-Archives! Read my Tweets below. Major Streisand news follows my Tweets ....Tweets by @babsdude
January 20, 2015
Partners Goes Platinum
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on January 16, 2015 certified Barbra's latest album, Partners—which has sold 1 million units—as a Platinum Album.
With her latest album Partners reaching Platinum certification, Streisand extends her record for the most Platinum album certifications for a woman in RIAA history. Incredibly, Partners is her 31st album to ship more than 1,000,000 copies in the U.S. The closest competition? Reba McEntire, who has 19 Platinum-certified albums.
Congratulations Barbra and all the creative team that worked on the album!
Barbra's last Platinum-selling album was Essential Barbra Streisand in 2003.
January 14, 2015
ASC to Salute Streisand with Governors Award
LOS ANGELES — Barbra Streisand will receive the ASC Board of Governors Award this year. The filmmaker/entertainer will accept the honor at the 29th Annual ASC Awards gala, which will take place Feb. 15 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.
“Barbra Streisand’s accomplishments across the entertainment industry are unparalleled, and we look forward to celebrating her groundbreaking contributions to the art of filmmaking,” said ASC President Richard Crudo. “The three films she has directed earned 14 Academy Award nominations, and her skill in working with cinematographers in achieving her vision is a hallmark of her directorial work.”
Streisand was the first American woman to direct, write, produce and star in a feature-length motion picture, Yentl (1983), which was shot by David Watkin, BSC. She also directed, produced and starred in The Prince of Tides (1991), shot by Stephen Goldblatt, ASC, BSC, and The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996), shot by Andrzej Bartkowiak, ASC, and Dante Spinotti, ASC, AIC.
She is the only artist to win Academy, Tony, Emmy, Grammy, DGA, Peabody and Golden Globe awards, as well as France’s Légion d’honneur, the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award and Kennedy Center Honors.
The ASC Board of Governors Award is bestowed on an individual who has advanced the art and craft of filmmaking. Previous recipients include Christopher Nolan, Warren Beatty, Harrison Ford, Jodie Foster, Julia Roberts, Ron Howard and Sydney Pollack.
For tickets to the ASC Awards, call (323) 969-4333.
January 4, 2015
Happy New Year!
Here's to a fantastic 2015!
Meanwhile, I've made some design updates to all the pages on the site .... just keeping things fresh! Click around the different sections of the website to explore!
Hope you enjoy.
December 24, 2014
Double Barbra + Gorgeous Blus
Barbra's comedy films The Owl and the Pussycat and For Pete's Sake have been repackaged into a DVD Double Feature by Mill Creek Entertainment.
Due February 3, 2015, you can pre-order from Amazon.com right now.
Meanwhile, I've had a chance to review both Funny Lady and Yentl on Blu-ray from Twilight Time—they were released last week. In a nutshell: both are glorious!
- Yentl is presented on Blu-ray with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.66:1. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix sounds amazing. David Watkins' cinematography has never looked better: you can see details of the intricate lace, wood grain and curly hair better than ever. And his beautifully golden tones look fantastic ... a look he achieved years before Hollywood began using digital post-production for that effect.
- Funny Lady is presented on Blu-ray with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 2.39:1. It's never sounded better either: the 5.1 audio mix sounds great in my home theater. The image is gorgeous: no specks or flaws in the negative that I can see. Let me say two things about Funny Lady, outside of its technical merits:
- This is such an underrated film! Although its tone is so different from Funny Girl, it stands on its own. Barbra's performance is so good here, too! Why have I forgotten the lovely "I need you" scene in bed with James Caan? Fantastic performance!
- When Funny Lady was originally released on DVD, there were no bonus features. On this Blu-ray release there are several, and they are very special: The featurettes (In Search of a Star; The New Look of Barbra in Funny Lady; Dancing on the Water; Original Domestic Theatrical Trailer; Original International Theatrical Trailer) are all a BIG treat. If you watch closely, almost each one contains some of the musical numbers which were filmed then cut from Funny Lady. These really make the Blu-ray special.
These limited edition [3,000 units] Blu-rays are sold exclusively at www.screenarchives.com (you will not find them at Amazon).
For my friends in Europe: These are REGION FREE BLU-RAY DISCS.
I've included couple of screen shots from the Blu-ray discs below to illustrate how lovely they look. [Note: Screen shots have been downsized from the1080p disc, and then compressed as a JPEG for this page. It should give you a general idea of what the Streisand Blu-rays will look like, although not representative of the true quality that Blu-ray offers.]
December 10, 2014
On Sunday 7 December, BAFTA paid tribute to five-time BAFTA nominee Terry Rawlings. A BAFTA Tribute: Terry Rawlings honored Rawlings' distinguished career in picture and sound editing across five decades, which has included work on films including Alien, Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner. Rawlings edited Yentl for Barbra Streisand.
An excerpt from the evening:
Ian Haydn Smith: The first musical Terry edited was in 1983. The film was Yentl , its director and star was Barbra Streisand. Though she sent her profound apologies that she could not be here today to celebrate with you Terry, Barbra did record this message.
[Audio recording] Barbra Streisand: Dear Terry, what a wonderful time we had making Yentl . After a day’s shooting, going into the editing room and working with you and you always making me laugh with such pleasure at your gifts as an editor and your delicious personality. Much love to you Terry, Barbra.
December 7, 2014
Barbra on Dr. Oz Show
Airing Tuesday, December 9th!
Barbra Streisand Speaks Out On The #1 Killer Of Women—Barbra Streisand shares her passion to fight the number one killer of women that one out of will die from. Plus, for the first time, Barbra gets a surprise she never expected.
Dr. Oz airs on Fox stations. Check your local listings for times.
Barbra's album Partners was nominated for a Grammy Award!
BEST TRADITIONAL POP VOCAL ALBUM. Here's the other nominees:
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett, Cheek to Cheek
- Johnny Mathis, Sending You a Little Christmas
- Annie Lennox, Nostalgia
- Barbra Streisand, Partners
- Barry Manilow, Night Songs
Barbra Tweeted the following response:
What nice news to wake up to! So happy to share this nomination w/ all my wonderful duet “partners” @michaelbuble Stevie Wonder @JohnMayer @KennyEdmonds @billyjoel @blakeshelton @LionelRichie @AndreaBocelli Jason Gould @johnlegend @joshgroban @ElvisPresley @wafanasieff @TheGrammys. Thank you NARAS. Thrilled & honored. Bx
The Grammys will be held on Feb. 8, 2015 at the Staples Center in L.A. and will air live on CBS at 8 p.m. ET.
December 4, 2014
Streisand fans can pick from several recently published books to own this holiday season.
The Taschen-published book Barbra: Streisand's Early Years in Hollywood by photographers Steve Schapiro and Lawrence Schiller is just gorgeous. Truly a spectacular and high-quality large-format book! Streisand has seen it and told People magazine (Dec. 1 issue): “It is a very big book, and I haven't had time to look at every page. But the artful photographs bring back some great memories.”
The price tag on the Taschen book is as hefty as its size ... I can tell you: if you buy it, the book will not disappoint. More about the Taschen Streisand book here.
Meanwhile, James Spada's most excellent book (Streisand: In the Camera Eye) is still selling like hot cakes. At a very affordable price, it is a gorgeous creation as well. Fans will be super-pleased with the high-quality photographs and biographical writing. Order Spada's book from Amazon.com here.
Finally, Paul Busa has updated his self-published book, The Barbra Streisand Record & CD Collector's Guide 1962-2014. The second edition (with a new cover, pictured right) has added Barbra's most recent recordings, and Paul has sprinkled in some new and rare photographs, including a note he received from Barbra herself. Order Busa's book from Amazon.com here.
As long as we're talking about printed matter .... Remember that All About Barbra magazine is getting ready to publish its latest issue. Editor Lynne Pounder has alerted us that the new issue will feature an exciting story: “10 Days in New York with Barbra An International Press Junket for BARBRA STREISAND: PARTNERS” written by Barbra's co-director and friend, Richard Jay-Alexander. Order the magazine here.
November 25, 2014
Barbra Streisand attended a Stop Cancer event at the Beverly Hilton on Sunday, November 23rd.
Jason Gould—Barbra's son—sang three songs, according to the Hollywood Reporter, including “The Way You Look Tonight” and “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”
Barbra did not pose on the red carpet, but here's Jason, looking handsome!
November 18, 2014
Pre-Order Blu-rays Tomorrow (updated)
Twilight Time puts the forthcoming Yentl and Funny Lady Blu-ray discs up for pre-order tomorrow at 4pm EST.
Twilight Time proudly brings BARBRA STREISAND’S poignant “signature” masterpiece to the dazzling Blu-Ray format, in what has been described as the “performance of a lifetime” for this legendary star and filmmaker!
- Release Date: December 9th, 2014
- Pre-order date/link: Wednesday, 19th November at 4 pm EST
- Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release. Only 3,000 units available. Once they are gone – they are gone!
- Technical Specs:
- LANGUAGE: English
- VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 1.66:1
- AUDIO: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA / English 2.0 DTS-HD MA
- SUBTITLES: English SDH
- 1983 / Color 133 MINUTES (Theatrical Version) / 137 MINUTES (Extended Cut)
- REGION FREE
- Special Features:
- Director's Extended Cut of the Film and the Theatrical Version
- Introduction to the Film by Barbra Streisand
- Audio Commentary by Barbra Streisand and Co-Producer Rusty Lemorande
- Deleted Scenes
- Introduction to Special Features by Barbra Streisand
- The Director's Reel Featurette
- The Rehearsal Process with Materials from Barbra's Archives
- My Wonderful Cast and Crew Featurette
- Deleted Song Storyboard Sequences
- Barbra's 8mm Concept Film with Optional Narration
- Still Galleries
- Theatrical Trailers
Twilight Time brings the incomparable BARBRA STREISAND back to the dazzling Blu-Ray format, in the long sought after follow-up, to the unforgettable FUNNY LADY, in another superb performance for this multi-talented star!
- Release Date: December 9th, 2014
- Pre-order date/link: Wednesday, November 19th at 4 pm EST
- Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release Only 3,000 units available.
- Technical Specs:
- LANGUAGE: English
- VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 2.35:1
- AUDIO: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
- SUBTITLES: English SDH
- 1975 / Color 138 MINUTES
- REGION FREE
- Special Features *Updated 11/18:
- "In Search of a Star" featurette
- “The New Look of Barbra in “Funny Lady” featurette
- “Dancing on the Water” featurette
- Original Theatrical trailer
- English SDH subtitles
The covers of the booklets that are included with each Blu-ray:
November 17, 2014
Streisand Guests on Bublé Christmas Special
Multi Grammy Award-winning singer Michael Bublé celebrates the holiday season with his fourth annual NBC Christmas special, “Michael Bublé’s Christmas in New York,” airing Wednesday, Dec. 17 on NBC (8 p.m. ET/PT).
Barbra Streisand, Ariana Grande, Miss Piggy and The Rockettes join Bublé for an hour-long celebration of Christmas, his favorite holiday.