Barbra Archives is on Social Media!
Welcome to Barbra-Archives! Read my Tweets below. Major Streisand news follows my Tweets ....Tweets by @babsdude
September 23, 2016
Streisand LIVE .... Encore!
Major news from 9/21/16.....
Barbra Streisand, who made history last week when she hit number one on the Billboard 200 album chart for the 11th time, will bring her legendary live performances to Houston, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami beginning in November as part of her THE MUSIC...THE MEM'RIES...THE MAGIC! tour, it was announced today by her longtime manager Marty Erlichman.
The newly announced tour dates mark Streisand's first ever appearances in both Houston, at the Toyota Center, and Tampa, at the Amalie Arena. The concert in Ft. Lauderdale at BB&T Center will be her first appearance in the Sunrise/Ft. Lauderdale area in over ten years. Her performance at American Airlines Arena will be Streisand's first appearance in the Miami Beach area since her performance at the Café Pompeii in the Eden Roc Hotel in March 1963.
The four dates follow Streisand's highly successful first jaunt on THE MUSIC...THE MEM'RIES...THE MAGIC! this August during which she received rave reviews and played in front of packed arenas in Los Angeles, San Jose, Las Vegas, Chicago, Brooklyn, Boston, Washington D.C., Philadelphia and Toronto.
The only recording artist or group to achieve number one albums in each of six decades, THE MUSIC...THE MEM'IRES...THE MAGIC! features Streisand performing her hits from each decade and other favorites, including from her latest number one album, "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway," celebrating a career of unparalleled creative achievement.
The tour is presented by Live Nation Global Touring and S2BN Entertainment.
Tour dates include:
November 27 Houston Toyota Center
November 30 Tampa Amalie Arena
December 3 Ft. Lauderdale BB&T Center
December 5 Miami American Airlines Arena
Tickets for all shows will go on sale Thursday, September 29th and will be available online, via charge-by-phone and venue box offices. Check local listings for complete details. Every ticket purchased online includes a copy of Streisand's new album "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway"
American Express® Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Thursday, September 22nd at 10am local time through Monday, September 26th at 10pm local time.
More Barbra News
- DVD alert for Streisand collectors! Time Life has just released a 6-DVD Bob Hope box set. In the set, digitally restored and unedited, is the 1963 Bob Hope Comedy Special with guest star Barbra Streisand! You can order the set at Amazon. 9/27/16 UPDATE: I received the DVD set, and, despite the claim that the specials are "unedited" -- Streisand's second song, "Gotta Move," has been edited out. Read about the original 1963 special here.
- “OK, politics!” — Barbra Streisand has written an Op-Ed (“Facts Matter”) over at the Huffington Post. Please consider her points, but more importantly: vote!
- Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway has legs! After debuting at #1 on the Billboard 200, it moved to #6 the week after, then to #18 this week.
September 13, 2016
TV & Live Improvements
I've done some much-needed updates on the Television and Live pages. Most of the material stays the same, but they have new pages that list the shows by decade. Check them out in your free time:
September 10, 2016
Streisand Sings for Hillary
Read all about the show last night, including some photos and Barbra's set list.
Barbra Streisand to Chair New World Trade Center Arts Center
LONG-DELAYED plans to build a performing arts center at the World Trade Center site moved forward on Thursday when officials unveiled a new design for the building and announced that Barbra Streisand had been elected chairwoman of the board.
A performing arts center was an important feature of the architect Daniel Libeskind’s 2003 master plan for the site’s redevelopment, but that element languished, becoming one of the last big pieces of unfinished business in rebuilding the World Trade Center after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Then the project was revived in June with a $75 million donation from Ronald O. Perelman, the billionaire businessman.
September 9, 2016
A Letter from Marty!
Marty Erlichman (Barbra's longtime manager) has written a letter to all the Streisand fans out there, and I'm delighted to share it.
September 4, 2016
Billboard: Streisand #1 !
Barbra Streisand achieves her 11th No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as her latest release, Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway, enters atop the list.
Her newest leader extends her record for the most No. 1 albums among women, and ties her with Bruce Springsteen for the third-most among all acts. The only artists with more No. 1s are The Beatles, with a record 19 chart-toppers, and Jay Z, with 13.
Among women, Streisand outpaces Madonna, the runner-up with eight Billboard 200 No. 1s.
Encore was released on Aug. 26 through Columbia Records, and starts with 149,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Sept. 1, according to Nielsen Music. That’s a stronger-than-expected launch for the set, which was forecast by industry sources to start in the No. 2 slot, behind Florida Georgia Line’s new Dig Your Roots. The latter album enters in the runner-up position, with 145,000 units.
The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new Sept. 17-dated chart (where Encore debuts at No. 1) will be posted in full to Billboard’s websites on Wednesday, Sept. 7 (one day later than normal, due to the Sept. 5 Labor Day holiday in the U.S).
Encore follows Streisand’s previous No. 1 albums: Partners (2014), Love Is the Answer (2009), Higher Ground (1997), Back to Broadway (1993), The Broadway Album (1986), Guilty (1980), Barbra Streisand’s Greatest Hits, Volume 2 (1979), A Star Is Born (1977), The Way We Were (1974), and People (1964).
Further, Streisand surpasses her own record for the longest span between No. 1s on the Billboard 200. Encore arrives 51 years, 10 months and 17 days after her first No. 1, People, spent its initial week at No. 1 (Oct. 31, 1964). People ruled the tally for five consecutive weeks. Streisand previously set the record for the longest span between No. 1s when she topped the chart in 2014 with Partners -- 49 years, 11 months and 14 days after People.
One more fun fact: Streisand continues to be the only act to have achieved No. 1 albums in the last six decades -- the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s.
[...] Nearly all of Encore’s first-week unit total was comprised of traditional album sales -- 148,000. And of that figure, physical album sales (CDs and vinyl LPs) equated to 126,000 -- the largest sales week for a physical album in 2016. Previously, Blink-182’s California held the biggest physical week for an album this year, when it started with 107,000 sold.
Encore’s physical sales were bolstered by the availability of a deluxe edition of the set sold through Target, which came with four bonus solo Streisand performances.
In addition, the album benefits from a promotion with Streisand’s recent concert tour, where tickets purchased online were bundled with an offer for a CD copy of Encore.
For ticket/album bundle offers where the purchase price of a ticket includes an album, only those albums that are actively redeemed by a customer count towards the charts. (The redemption rate is usually low for these offers, but can vary depending on the type of artist and how effectively they promote the ticket/album offer to their fans.)
Streisand is one of many acts that have employed a ticket/album bundle offer to sell music. Others include Kanye West (who sold The Life of Pablo with tickets to his Yeezy Season 3 fashion show), Justin Bieber, Duran Duran, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Michael Buble, Cyndi Lauper, Tom Petty, Bon Jovi and many more.
August 24, 2016
Streisand Tour Set Lists & Photos
- Brooklyn 8/13
- Brooklyn 8/11
- Las Vegas
- San Jose
- Los Angeles
- 2016 Tour — Main Page
August 23, 2016
- Barbra Streisand will appear with Alec Baldwin on Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show on August 25th. The duo are scheduled to perform "The Best Thing That Ever Has Happened."
- Good Morning Britain interview, Friday, Aug. 26th on ITV
- CBS Sunday Morning interview, Sunday, Aug. 28th
- Australia: 60 Minutes, Sunday, Aug. 28th
Streisand/Hillary Ticket Info
A Streisand fan and friend has sent some ticket info for the upcoming LGBT for Hillary Gala Dinner with Hillary with Special Performance by Barbra Streisand Friday, September 9. The event takes place in New York, NY at Cipriani Wall Street
- Event Chair: Contribute or Raise $250,000 (Includes Chair greet and reception with Hillary)
- Event Co-Chair: Contribute or Raise $100,000 (Includes Co-Chair reception with Hillary)
- Changemaker: Contribute or Raise $25,000 - (Includes reception with special guests)
- Champion: Contribute $10,000 (Includes premium seating)
- Fighter: Contribute $2,500 (Includes preferred viewing)
Barbra Streisand Exclusive Channel Returns to SiriusXM
Channel to feature "Town Hall' special with Streisand, hosted by Golden Globe-nominated actor Patrick Wilson at the Winter Garden Theatre in New York City
NEW YORK, Aug. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- SiriusXM announced today that The Barbra Streisand Channel, an exclusive channel featuring the works of Grammy, Oscar, Emmy and Tony award-winning artist Barbra Streisand, will return to SiriusXM on September 6.
The Barbra Streisand Channel, the exclusive, limited-run channel, which originally ran on SiriusXM in September 2014, will feature music spanning Streisand's legendary career, from her 1963 debut through her new album Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway, which is scheduled to be released on August 26. Streisand will give listeners exclusive commentary and reflection on the rare tribute to a lifetime of song. The channel will be fully dedicated to Barbra Streisand's extensive body of work, including selections from her live and studio recordings. Listeners will also hear songs personally selected by Streisand from her catalog, spanning 50 years.
The Barbra Streisand Channel will also feature an exclusive "Town Hall" special with Barbra Streisand. Streisand will sit down for an intimate Q&A session with a select group of SiriusXM listeners at The Winter Garden Theatre, current home of Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest hit musical, SCHOOL OF ROCK in New York City. Barbra Streisand originally starred in Funny Girl at The Winter Garden Theatre in 1964. The SiriusXM Town Hall with Barbra Streisand, hosted by actor Patrick Wilson, will air on Wednesday, September 7 at 5:00 pm ET on The Barbra Streisand Channel.
The limited-run channel will launch on Tuesday, September 6 at 5:00 pm ET and will run through Monday, October 3, via satellite on channel 18 and through the SiriusXM app on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at siriusxm.com.
"SiriusXM's Town Hall with Barbra Streisand" is part of SiriusXM's "Town Hall" series, featuring iconic entertainers and figures sitting down with studio audiences of SiriusXM listeners.
Previous SiriusXM "Town Hall" specials have featured Bruce Springsteen, Billy Crystal, Quentin Tarantino, Carol Burnett, Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, KISS, Coldplay, Ringo Starr, Adele, Elton John, Taylor Swift, Hugh Jackman, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Roger Waters, the surviving members of Nirvana, Gregg Allman, Usher and Tony Hawk.
For more information on Barbra Streisand, please visit www.barbrastreisand.com.
For more information on SiriusXM, please visit www.siriusxm.com.
August 20, 2016
August 18, 2016
NPR Streams ENCORENational Public Radio's "First Listen" is providing a stream of Barbra's new album, ENCORE: MOVIE PARTNERS SING BROADWAY, which is due in stores 8/26.
Pure Imagination Video
Watch Barbra and Seth MacFarlane recording "Pure Imagination" for Barbra's new album, ENCORE: MOVIE PARTNERS SING BROADWAY, due 8/26.
August 10, 2016
LGBT Fundraiser for Hillary
Barbra Streisand will be singing for Hillary Clinton in New York on September 9th at Cipriani Wall Street. Individual tickets start at $1,200 and go to $10,000, and tables are going for up to $250,000.
Barbra Streisand's official Vevo channel has posted “Fifty Percent” — the solo track from the deluxe version of her new album, Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway, which will be released 8/26.
July 19 , 2016
Barbra's Vevo channel has posted these two previews of tracks from her forthcoming CD, Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway.
Gypsy Ready, Says LaGravenese
Playbill exclusively reported that screenplay writer Richard LaGravenese (Mirror Has Two Faces) said Gypsy will begin filming early 2017. He revealed that director Barry Levinson came up with a cinematic concept on how to film Gypsy.
Gypy's screenplay was finished in May and casting should begin soon, according to LaGravenese.
July 11, 2016
Opening night of Barbra Streisand's concert tour is about 3 weeks away!
As I have done on past tours, I'm calling all BARBRA FANS to contribute short reviews, photos, and help me keep track of the set lists for each night of the tour (Barbra likes to switch it up and do different songs and song-orders!).
So, PLEASE email me , and I'll make sure to give you credit on the page!
Below is a link to the 2016 Concert Tour main page with links to all the shows. I'll be in L.A. for opening night, and several other shows, but I will definitely need help on the mid- to late-August dates.
Schiller/Schapiro Streisand Book Re-Packaged & Re-Priced ... from Taschen
The gorgeous Streisand coffee table book from Taschen that sold for $750 is being re-packaged and sold for a much less expensive price!
According to Taschen, the $69.99 version of the book is a bit smaller than the $750 one — it's now 10.4 x 14.7 inches. Also, it's 336 pages, compared to the 340 pages in the $750 version.
June 30, 2016
Win Concert Tix & Support Women's Heart Alliance
We wanted you to be the first to know about this opportunity to both support the Women's Heart Alliance, and enter for a chance to win VIP tickets for Barbra Streisand's summer tour. For every show on Barbra's upcoming tour, she is giving one fan a pair of her personal VIP tickets (VIP tickets means sitting with Barbra's friends and family in the first 5 rows at the show). Every $10 donation is a chance to win and you will be helping the Women's Heart Alliance. Your support is critical to savings the lives of so many women we love—our mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and friends.
Thank you for your help, and best of luck!
Donate to fight women’s heart disease & win big: https://www.crowdrise.com/barbratour
June 17, 2016
NEW YORK, June 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- On the heels of her first appearance at The Tonys since 1970, Columbia Records has announced Barbra Streisand's "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway" album will debut on August 26th, 2016, featuring 10 new Streisand duets of Broadway classics with some of the biggest stars in Hollywood. The inspired new musical pairings on "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway" include Alec Baldwin, Antonio Banderas, Jamie Foxx, Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Seth MacFarlane, Melissa McCarthy, Chris Pine, Daisy Ridley, Patrick Wilson, and a spectacular virtual duet with Anthony Newley.
All artists featured on "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway" have achieved international success. Below are a few highlights from their esteemed careers, along with information on their respective songs on the album:
1. "At The Ballet." With Anne Hathaway and Daisy Ridley. From "A Chorus Line," Winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical and Pulitzer Prize. In referring to "At The Ballet," composer Marvin Hamlisch said that "the song set the tone for all the music in the show; once the song was written, the creators understood the shape and color of the piece as a whole."
Anne Hathaway: Actress, singer, Academy Award winner for her role in Les Misérables, winner of Golden Globe Award, Emmy Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, BAFTA Award.
Daisy Ridley: Starred as Rey in STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - the highest-grossing film of 2015. She will continue her role as Rey in STAR WAS: EPISODE VIII, scheduled for release in December 2017.
2. "Loving You." With Patrick Wilson. From Stephen Sondheim's "Passion." "Passion" opened on Broadway in 1994 and was the winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical.
Patrick Wilson: Actor and singer who began his career starring in Broadway musicals. Two-time Tony Award nominee, Golden Globe Award nominee and Emmy Award nominee. Starred in the major motion picture adaption of Broadway's The Phantom of the Opera and the television series "Fargo."
3. "Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)?" With Anthony Newley. From "The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell of the Crowd" - a musical with book, music, and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley.
Anthony Newley: Legendary actor, singer, and songwriter. As a recording artist he enjoyed a dozen Top 40 songs on the UK Singles Chart between 1959 and 1962, starred on Broadway in "Stop The World – I Want To Get Off" and "The Roar Of The Greasepaint – The Smell Of The Crowd." Best Film Score Academy Award nominee for film score for WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1989. Grammy Award winner for Song of the Year for "What Kind Of Fool Am I."
4. "The Best Thing That Ever Has Happened." With Alec Baldwin. From "Road Show." "Road Show is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by John Weidman.
Alec Baldwin: Actor, producer, comedian, Broadway star, winner of two Emmy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards and seven Screen Actors Guild Awards. Columnist for Huffington Post, podcast host.
5. "Any Moment Now." With Hugh Jackman. From an unproduced version of "Smile." Music by Marvin Hamlisch; book and lyrics by Dorothy Fields.
Hugh Jackman: Stage and screen star, known for roles ranging from WOLVERINE, Jean Valjean in LES MISERABLES , Tony Award winning portrayal of Peter Allen in "The Boy From Oz," and host of the Tony Awards and Academy Awards.
6. "Anything You Can Do." With Melissa McCarthy. From "Annie Get Your Gun." Music and lyrics by Irving Berlin and a book by Dorothy Fields and her brother Herbert Fields. The story is a fictionalized version of the life of Annie Oakley, a sharpshooter who starred in Buffalo Bill's Wild West. The 1946 Broadway production was a hit and the musical had long runs in both New York and London and spawned revivals, a 1950 film version and television versions.
Melissa McCarthy: Actress, comedian, writer, fashion designer and producer. Known for roles on television shows "Gilmore Girls" and "Mike & Molly," host on "Saturday Night Live," and films BRIDESMAIDS – which garnered her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress, IDENTITY THIEF, THE HEAT, TAMMY, ST. VINCENT, and the action comedy SPY - for which she received the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical. She is set to star in the 2016 re-boot of GHOSTBUSTERS.
7. "Pure Imagination." With Seth MacFarlane. Written for the motion picture WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - a musical version of the beloved Roald Dahl book. Written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley. Featured in hit West End Stage Musical "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" set to open on Broadway in 2017.
Seth MacFarlane: Actor, filmmaker, singer, and creator of "Family Guy," co-creator of "American Dad!" and "The Cleveland Show," writer-director of TED and TED 2. Emmy Award winner, Webby Award Winner for Film & Video Person of the Year. As a singer he has performed at Carnegie Hall and the Royal Albert Hall. Host of Academy Awards and executive producer of "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey."
8. "Take Me To The World." With Antonio Banderas. From "Evening Primrose." "Evening Primrose" is a musical with book by James Goldman and lyrics and music by Stephen Sondheim. It was originally written for television and is based on a John Collier short story published in 1951.
Antonio Banderas: Actor, director, producer. He began his acting career in a series of films by director Pedro Almodóvar and starred in films as diverse as PHILADELPHIA, EVITA, THE MASK OF ZORRO, SPY KIDS and SHREK. Banderas appeared on Broadway to great acclaim in "Nine" – winning the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards and nominated for a Tony Award.
9. "I'll Be Seeing You"/ "I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face." With Chris Pine. From "Right This Way"/ "My Fair Lady." "Right This Way" opened in 1938. "I'll Be Seeing You" became the unofficial anthem of WWII, later recorded by Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee and dozens more. "My Fair Lady" is a musical based on George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion," with book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe. The musical's 1956 Broadway production was a momentous hit, setting a record for the longest run of any major musical theater production in history.
Chris Pine: Known for his role as Captain James T. Kirk in the most recent STAR TREK reboot series. Starred in THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2, UNSTOPPABLE, HORRIBLE BOSSES 2 and he played Cinderella's Prince in the film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical INTO THE WOODS.
10. "Climb Ev'ry Mountain." With Jamie Foxx. From "The Sound of Music." "The Sound of Music" is a musical with music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. The original Broadway production, starring Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel, opened in 1957 and won five Tony Awards, including Best Musical. It was adapted as a 1965 film musical starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, which won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.
Jamie Foxx: Actor, singer, comedian, Academy Award winner as Best Actor for his role in RAY. Also winner of BAFTA Award and Golden Globe. Foxx is also a Grammy winner. He and Kanye West scored a #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Gold Digger."
Additional [solo] Streisand tracks available on the Target deluxe edition:
1. "I Didn't Know What Time It Was." From "Too Many Girls" which opened on Broadway in 1939 starring Desi Arnaz. The film version starred Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and they credited the production for bringing them together as a couple.
2. "Not A Day Goes By." From Tony nominated "Merrily We Roll Along." Book by George Furth and lyrics and music by Stephen Sondheim
3. "Fifty Percent." From "Ballroom." "Ballroom" is a Tony nominated musical with book by Jerome Kass and music by Billy Goldenberg and lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. Based on the 1975 Emmy Award-winning television drama "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom."
4. "Losing My Mind." From "Follies." "Follies" is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and a book by James Goldman. The Broadway production opened on April 4, 1971, directed by Harold Prince and Michael Bennett, and with choreography by Bennett. The musical was nominated for eleven Tony Awards and won seven.
Target Track Listing (incorporates the solo numbers):
1. AT THE BALLET – w/ Anne Hathaway & Daisy Ridley
2. LOVING YOU – w/ Patrick Wilson
3. WHO CAN I TURN TO (WHEN NOBODY NEEDS ME) – w/ Anthony Newley
4. ANY MOMENT NOW – w/ Hugh Jackman
5. I DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS – Barbra (Target Exclusive)
6. THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAS HAPPENED – w/ Alec Baldwin
7. NOT A DAY GOES BY – Barbra (Target Exclusive)
8. ANYTHING YOU CAN DO - w/ Melissa McCarthy
9. FIFTY PERCENT – Barbra (Target Exclusive)
10. I’LL BE SEEING YOU/I’VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE – w/ Chris Pine
11. LOSING MY MIND – Barbra (Target Exclusive)
12. PURE IMAGINATION - w/ Seth MacFarlane
13. TAKE ME TO THE WORLD w/ Antonio Banderas
14. CLIMB EV’RY MOUNTAIN w/ Jamie Foxx
AUSTRALIA DELUXE CD
Streisand fans in Australia are able to buy the 14-track deluxe CD. [ click here ]
Australia also has the 10-track vinyl LP for sale. [ click here ]
* Thanks to Judith for emailing me the info!
Complete "At the Ballet" audio track w/ Anne Hathaway & Daisy Ridley [The male voice is actor Bradley Cooper]:
Behind the scenes, "At the Ballet":
June 12, 2016
Barbra Presents Tony
Barbra Streisand closed the Tony Awards by presenting the final award of the night for best musical to Hamilton. Streisand was greeted with a standing ovation. “Thank you, thank you. You're making me verklempt,” she joked.
“Tonight our joy is tinged with sorrow [due to the shootings at an Orlando gay club], but we're here to celebrate Broadway and the beauty that artistry can bring into this world,” Streisand said. “The artists that write the plays, the composers and the lyricists who write the songs, and the actors who bring them to life. Art can entertain us and educate us, and in times like these, console us.”
Streisand wore a long black skirt with a high slit, a matching black jacket and a high-collared blouse with lacy sleeves and collar. “Thank god I picked the right outfit,” she joked, referring to her colonial-style ensemble.
Below: Tony winner Lin-Manuel Miranda & Barbra Streisand at the 2016 Tony Awards after party for Hamilton at Tavern on the Green in NYC.
June 7, 2016
All About Barbra #80
Editor Lynne Pounder tells us the new issue of All About Barbra magazine is jam-packed with Barbra:
- The Tour
- The Album
- A round up of all the latest news & pictures
- The Tony Award
- Barbra Live
- The Mirror Has Two Faces celebrates 20 years
- Clear Day
- Catherine The Great
June 1, 2016
Streisand to Present at Tony Awards
From the Tony Awards today:
Returning to the Tony Awards stage for the first time since 1970, legendary EGOT and show business icon Barbra Streisand will present at the 2016 Tony Awards. Hosted by Tony Award-winner James Corden, the telecast will broadcast live from the Beacon Theatre in New York City, on the CBS television network, Sunday, June 12th, 8:00 – 11:00 p.m. (ET/PT time delay). The Tony Awards are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing. As previously announced, Broadway’s biggest night will feature appearances by Oprah Winfrey, Cate Blanchett, 2016 Tony Nominees Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Carole King, Audra McDonald, Saoirse Ronan, Patina Miller and Nathan Lane, among others.
Below: Barbra Streisand presented Best Musical to Kander & Ebb for Cabaret at the 1967 Tony Awards.
Below: Barbra Streisand received the American Theatre Wing's special “Star of the Decade” award in 1970.
May 16, 2016
STREISAND TOUR & NEW ALBUM!
Barbra Streisand, who last year became the only recording artist or group to achieve #1 albums in each of six decades, will bring her legendary live performances to 9 cities in August, it was announced today by her longtime manager Marty Erlichman. Streisand will perform her hits from each decade plus songs from her new album, "ENCORE: Movie Partners Sing Broadway," celebrating a career of unparalleled creative achievement. Every ticket purchased online includes a CD of Streisand's new album, which will be released later this year.
The tour is presented by Live Nation Global Touring and S2BN Entertainment.
The tour dates include:
SAP Center at San Jose
August 11, 13
Wells Fargo Center
Air Canada Centre
Tickets for all shows will go on sale Wednesday, May 25th, and will be available online, via charge-by-phone and venue box offices. Check local listings for complete details.
American Express® Card Members can purchase tickets in the U.S. before the general public beginning Wednesday, May 18th at 10am local time through Sunday, May 22nd at 5pm local time, and in Toronto before the general public beginning Thursday, May 19th at 10am EDT through Sunday, May 22nd at 5pm EDT.
April 11, 2016
Gypsy went into turnaround at Universal last year, but Barbra's passion to get it made has apparently paid off ....
Variety today reported that “STX Entertainment is in advanced negotiations to make “Gypsy” with the Grammy and Oscar winner taking the lead role, and Oscar-winner Barry Levinson (“Rain Man”) directing ....”
Variety explained that Streisand will produce the film with Joel Silver (“Lethal Weapon”). Richard LaGravenese (“The Fisher King”) has written the script, which Barbra was involved developing.
“It’s Barbra Streisand doing one more, if not the last, movie musical of her career,” said STX Chairman Adam Fogelson. He added that he was excited by “the type of talent that is clamoring to work with her on one of the most famous and satisfying musicals ever.”
UPDATE 4/13: Fogelson also spoke with Deadline. He gave them more details about the Gypsy production, including a possible Fall shoot with an $80 million budget. “There’s a real shot at getting this thing done this year. It’s a fast turnaround,” he said. “ I think Barbra doing a movie like this in her career now is a global event. We all have a vision for it at a price where it all makes sense. It would be incredibly exciting if we figure out how to pull it off,” he said, adding director Barry Levinson is aiming to sign on and has a very good take on the material and the script written by Richard LaGravenese. Joel Silver is still attached as producer.
April 7, 2016
Barbra Posts Recording Pic
Yesterday Barbra Streisand posted a photo of herself, Walter Afanasieff, and Bill Ross at the Barbra Streisand Scoring Stage. It looks like Barbra's been recording, although there's been no official announcement about the project ... yet.
In December, Barbra told the Hollywood Reporter, “I love doing my albums because I have a wonderful team that I work with. I have this idea for the album that I can't talk about yet. But there's no ego in it. It's like, I'll say something, they come up with something, and, 'Oh! Ah! Go to the piano and try this!' It's like doing a play.”
March 17, 2016
Barbra Honors Kristofferson
Last night in Nashville, Tennessee at the Bridgestone Arena, country music's biggest stars gathered to honor the life and music of Kris Kristofferson. Barbra Streisand sent a video message.
Speaking about her work with Kristofferson on A Star is Born, Barbra said to him:
... people still stop me and talk about that film. You are a perfect combination of brawn and brains, which not only makes you a great musician, songwriter, and poet and an actor. I want to thank you for being there in my life as I've called on you , needed you ... you were always there for me over the years. So, have a wonderful evening and feel all the love that's coming at you ... and from me too.
March 7, 2016
Dylan & Streisand
Columbia Records recording artist Bob Dylan recently gave more than 6,000 personal items to Tulsa, Okla., where it will be cataloged, digitized and displayed as the Bob Dylan Archive.
One of the items, it's reported, is a handwritten note from Barbra Streisand postmarked November 1978. Barbra thanks Dylan for sending flowers and wrote, “It would be wonderful to make a record with you — especially since I only record with Jewish guys who live in Malibu on CBS.” (Barbra was referencing her duet with Neil Diamond on “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers”)
Streisand, after reading about the letter in Dylan's archives, contacted The New York Times to offer some backstory.
I read the recent story in The New York Times about Bob Dylan’s archive, and I was so touched to find out he had saved a note from me.
It prompted me to go back into my own archive and retrieve a letter I had saved from him.
As I remember it, first he sent me flowers and a lovely note, asking me if I would like to sing with him. In return, I sent him the note that’s in his archive, thanking him for the flowers and the invitation. But for whatever reason, it never happened at the time.
Years later … when Yentl was about to come out [in 1983] … he sent me his latest album, along with the letter I still have. In it, he writes, “There are some songs on this album which I’m sure you would love to do.”
He adds, “I’m looking forward to seeing your movie. Maybe you can direct me in one of mine.” And then he goes on to say something that still means so much to me: “You are my favorite star. Your self-determination, wit and temperament and sense of justice have always appealed to me.”
I thought scholars, and fans, might like to know the story behind my note. And I plan to send a copy of his letter to Bob, so it can be included in his archive, as well as mine.
The Dylan Archive was purchased by the George Kaiser Family Foundation and the University of Tulsa and is being transferred to Oklahoma, where it will be exhibited near the George Kaiser Family Foundation’s Woody Guthrie Center.
March 5, 2016
Pat Conroy Dies
The man who wrote “The Prince of Tides” as well as the novels “The Great Santini,” and “The Lords of Discipline” has died of pancreatic cancer.
The Prince of Tides author Pat Conroy wrote in Barbra's copy of his book that “you're many things, Barbra, but you're also a great teacher... one of the greatest to come into my life”
Photo above: Screenwriter Pat Conroy, actress/singer Barbra Streisand and screenwriter Becky Johnston attend the 44th Annual Writers Guild of America Awards on March 22, 1992 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage)
UPDATE: Barbra posted a statement on her official site:
First, I fell in love with Pat Conroy’s book, The Prince of Tides, and then I fell in love with him. He was generous and kind, humble and loving…such a joy to work with. I was so honored that he entrusted his beautiful book to me. Pat’s natural language was poetry…he wrote sentences that are like an incantation. He observed every nuance of human behavior and dug deep down to the truth…presenting it in all its glorious and stubborn complexity. I am so sad today. I lost a dear friend, and the world has lost a great writer.
March 3, 2016
Barbra Records with Daisy
The Saturday before the Oscars, Barbra Streisand recorded a song with Star Wars star Daisy Ridley.
Star Wars director J.J. Abrams hinted at the duet the week before when he told the press that Ridley had a great singing voice and was due to record a song with a “massive superstar.”
Then, when Daisy Ridley was doing a red carpet interview, she said, “I can tell you everyone's guesses are way off.” She continued, “When J.J. said 'superstar,' he meant a legendary awe-inspiring jaw-dropping superstar.”
On March 1, Ridley Tweeted a photo of herself with Streisand, which sort-of clarified everything.
Barbra is back recording, although the project has not been officially announced yet.
February 18, 2016
2016 is here (it's February ?!), and there have been a few Streisand news items already.
- The Wrap and Hollywood Reporter are both reporting that actress Keira Knightley is in talks for the lead role in Catherine the Great, which Barbra is slated to direct. If you recall, Kristina Lauren Anderson wrote the screenplay, which was on the 2014 “Black List” for best unproduced screenplays. Gil Netter is producing. Knightley and Streisand are both repped by CAA. Most likely, the script, star and director will be packaged by the agency, then sold to a studio. This is not a 'green light,' but nice progress toward actual production. Stay tuned!
- Did you catch Barbra on Modern Family? The episode aired January 6, 2016 on ABC. “Special Guest Star” Barbra Streisand showed up near the end of Modern Family Season 7, Episode 10. The episode was written by Jeffrey Richman, who wrote for the Back to Brooklyn tour, the 2006 tour, and Barbra's show at the Village Vanguard. In the episode, Haley, Alex and Luke are surprised when Uncle Mitchell comes over to cash in on the birthday coupon they gave him for a belated celebration, so they scramble and end up on an impromptu tour of celebrity homes. Actor Ray Liotta saves the day when he takes the four over to Barbra's house gate where Barbra's voice is heard over the loud speaker.
- Barbra is back in the studio recording! At least according to actor/singer Jamie Foxx. On February 17th, he Tweeted this: